Monday, November 14, 2016

JUST HANGIN' and having a CHEEZEY DAY!!!

We have been enjoying having fresh goat milk
since we have added new and younger 
Nubian Goats to our herd!
(see previous post):
http://thebuttryandbookry.blogspot.com/2016/10/gone-goating-very-side-tracked-by.html


With a new abundance of  sweet fresh milk, 
cheese is a yummy way to use it!
In the past we always drank our goat milk pretty fast
and I would always use any overflow in
 baking and cooking. And now making cheese is
a new challenge and I needed to research to learn how!  



After reading lots of books and watching
 videos on line, we also bought a few DVDs 
and a kithat proved very helpful!! 








Soon we had all of the tools lined up
and we were ready for an adventure 
to make and then taste cheese!!



Starting with a gallon of fresh milk 









We brought it to the right temperature
and added a culture and a
vegetable rennet to separate
 the curds and whey!    








And then waited ..

..~..~..~..~..~..~..~..~..

Beloved, I wish above all things
that thou mayest prosper
and be in health,
even as thy soul prospereth.
                                     3 John 1:2
the BUTT'RY and BOOK'RY: High Tea for 2 Birthdays:
Do You Know JESUS?
Need Church?
.~.~.~.
Listen to Sunday CHURCH
with Pastor CHARLES PRICE
of the Living Truth Ministries
click here:
http://www.livingtruthus.com/#
..~..~..~..~..~..~..~..~..



The next morning it had set and was ready to cut
to release more whey







                                                       







After draining off the whey it was hung
so that even more whey could drain










The whey has many uses and is high in protein 





Extra cloth to keep away fruit flies!!!

















                                       Using parchment paper to mix in the salt


Rolling the delicious Chevre'  into a log  
made it very nice and appetizing! 


Fig jam, vanilla, and craisins
 YUMMY!!



































Rolled in chopped walnuts !


SO YUMMY!!!!






Mildred Mousiekin prepares her cheese often!!






And it is always a joyful family affair!!!








Some books to enjoy!






Paula Butler 
of Standing Stone Farms

http://www.standingstonefarms.com/CHEESE_MAKING_KIT_s/1837.htm





http://www.cheesemaking.com/

 Lear how to make cheese at home with this great set

Ricki Carroll"Cheese Queen"



Mary Jane Toth, author of A Cheesemaker's Journey



 Hope you enjoyed 
many blessings and warmth!!
Love Linnie


..~..~..~..~..









21 comments:

  1. Oh Linnie...how completely exciting! :o) I have never tried making cheese, but I am going to check out the videos and books you have shared. Hello public library ;D ... I have tasted goat cheese freshly made on the farm, and it is absolutely delicious! How wonderful your Nubians are producing so beautifully...next time soap ;D goat-milk soap is fantastic! It is what I make every summer.

    Blessings to you dear lady :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've enjoyed seeing this post so much! I want a goat to milk...to drink the milk and make cheese. I just love your kitchen and that last picture of the finished cheese and buttered buns looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linnie, you are amazing! Making beautiful cheese takes a lot of patience and you have mastered it. I can just imagine eating that wonderful cheese rolled in walnuts---yummy! And of course the Mousiekins having their turn at cheese making! So charming. I want Mildred's stove! XOXO ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Linnie,
    Is there anything you cannot do? I always thought cheese making was a real process, but had no idea how much.. Wow, I am really impressed, and what a great post. It looks so yummy. The Mousiekins are even trying their hands at it.. Now that I look at the final photo with the cheese and buttered buns I have to go eat.. teeehee. Thank you so much for sharing this great post.

    I also wanted to thank you for your most welcome visit.. It is such a joy to see you there.
    Blessings dear friend,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour,

    Un billet très intéressant... Comme ce fromage doit être délicieux !
    Je fais seulement du fromage blanc avec du lait de vache.

    Merci pour ce partage.

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Linnie ~ what can I say? Another string to your bow! Such excitement and fun, for you and Mildred Mousiekin too! I've been tempted to buy a little kit to get me started, but they only let you make a tiny baby truckle of soft cheese. Loved that you use vegetarian rennet. Now, when I come to visit I know I can eat the cheese!
    ~~~Deb xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Miss Linnie, THIS IS FABULOUS! Tea Rat here....now, you know how I love CHEESE and anything CHEESEY! teehehehehehehehhehe

    WOW. Even Dame Mildred has her own equipment. And her stove is classic and I have two of them so I can make my tea blends on one and my cheesey dishes on the other. Well done, Mildred!

    Linnie my friend, how I love to watch you enjoy the life you lead, in the country, interacting with nature, reaping the bounty. God bless you sister!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I enjoyed your post, Linnie. What an accomplishment from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's wonderful, Linnie~you make the work look so easy and fun! And delicious! Do the mousiekins have their own goatiekins, or do they steal your goat's milk?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Linnie, what a process but that's great that you do that! I have to say that I am not a fan of goat cheese. Love it that you got your Mousiekins involved, that little stove is very similar to one that I have.
    Happy Tuesday to you!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks wonderful and delicious ♥

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linnie< you are truly an amazing and industrious woman, a real Pioneer! I do a lot of stuff, but when it comes to the making of cheeses, honey, bread, cider and on and on and on... you are the Queen! You have put your goats to work, your bees to the job, your orchard to use, and between all of you, the results are always more than wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linnie, you said you would do it and you did! Looks delicious, I love fig jam, I bet that was tasty:-) Glad to see the Mousekins are on the job too...LOL!
    Love ya,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yummy! I am feeling rather hungry right now, so I probably didn't choose a good time to read this most delightful post. I'll be right over........

    ReplyDelete
  15. So very interesting! Thank you for showing us this amazing process. ♡j♡

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Linnie,

    You have my mouth watering here! Isn't it wonderful to know how to do things by yourself, that you could use to barter if things got rough. All of these old homesteading skills are so valuable, and soon you'll be teaching your own workshops! :)

    Love,

    Marqueta

    ReplyDelete
  17. Linnie--- how awesome!!! I bet it was so satisfying to sit down to your OWN cheese from your own animals! Love how you added the nuts and fruit. PERFECT for Thanksgiving and Christmas! You're so talented with all these old arts!~

    ReplyDelete
  18. Linnie dear ~ Was just "catching up" today and am sorry not sooner, or I would have given you a heads up about the CBS morning show yesterday from
    Regina Laudis Abbey in Bethlehem, CT. Mother Noella is a scientist specializing in cheesemaking and if you will go to their website under
    current events, you can view her discussion on "The Science and Spirituality
    of Cheesmaking. Somewhere in my archives I have her DVD with all the particulars of her travels throughout the world studying various processes.
    I can certainly see the "spirituality" of the slow and exacting process you
    demonstrated in your cheesemaking...mouth-watering.
    A blessed Thanksgiving to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That looks so wonderful. Thank you very much for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Linnie,
    Thank you so much for visiting and your very kind words.. I am happy you enjoyed viewing.
    I am doing a little better each day, thank you for asking.

    You really are the Cheese Queen!
    blessings

    ReplyDelete

KIND words of KINDRED FOLK: